Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Rocket, the Rat Bike

It takes a while to get parts for Vespa scooters these days.  Especially a 2006 GT, as it appears that Piaggio is ceasing production on many body parts these days.  But I ordered parts for Rocket from George (Motovista) at Scooter Parts Co.  Many arrived last week with others coming this week.  Most were correct and one missing, but Boris has a spare parts GT that he took the missing part (License plate light cover) off of to let me have it.

The body parts could be had either in matching paint for somewhere over $600., or for less than $100 in whatever color, or none, he could find.  Even though the guy who hit me is paying for everything, I saw no reason to charge more than necessary.  So the right side skirt is light gray with no paint, the left skirt is dark gray, also not painted and the rear fender is a beautiful blue that I will paint over eventually.  The license plate light cover that I got from Boris is green.  So it will look a bit like a rat bike until I get it all painted.  I will do it before the end of the year, but for now, I would rather ride.

In other news, I will be posting more in the next couple of weeks.  Tomorrow, Sarah, Kylie and I will be flying to Chicago to spend a few days visiting with Sam and his girlfriend Sara.  We miss him and look forward to seeing him again.  

Then, next week I am riding the Honda to meet up with the MP3 Gathering group in North Carolina.  I am leaving at 4:00 AM on Friday to meet them at their mid ride lunch in Hot Springs.  Google Maps says 479 miles in 7:11.  Piece of cake.

The next week I leave on Wednesday to lead the 7 Bridges Scooter Club to Tryon, NC to begin a few days of rides there.  Mike (Driller) will be leading us around the scenic byways of the area.

I will use my spot if anyone is interested in following on FollowRide or the spot site.


Since all of the plastic is being replaced at the back of Rocket, I will paint it all a satin black.  It will complement the shiny, blue black that is original,

Light gray side skirt here. iPhone went dead when I tried to shoot the dark gray on the other side.  The fender is a beautiful blue that matches Vanessa perfectly.  I will see if I should put it on her and take her older piece for the satin black treatment.

1 comment: